Aadhaar, the 12-digit unique identity number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), is mandatory for a myriad of services. It not only acts as an identity card but also gives us access to many essential services. Thus it is essential that your Aadhaar card number is updated with your latest details. In case you have shifted your residence, it is important that you update the address in your Aadhaar card number. UIDAI offers simple ways in which you can make this change.
How to update address in Aadhaar card number
You can update your Aadhaar card number with your latest address either by vising the official website of UIDAI – uidai.gov.in – or by sending it through post, according to a tweet on the official Aadhaar handle @UIDAI.
How to update Aadhaar address online
1. Go to the official UIDAI website and click on this link: https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update
2. Input your 12-digit Aadhaar number in the space provided.
(Input your 12-digit Aadhaar number.)
3. Also type the verification code that is visible on the page.
4. Once you enter the verification code, a onetime password (OTP) will be sent on your Aadhaar-registered mobile number.
5. On the next page, select ‘address’ and proceed.
(On the next page, select ‘address’ and proceed.)
6. Fill in the new/correct details carefully. Ensure that your information is transliterated correctly in the local language, adds the UIDAI.
(Fill in the new/correct details carefully.)
7. Check the details thoroughly and proceed.
(Check the details thoroughly and proceed.)
8. At this stage, the user is required to submit valid documents supporting the requested correction. Users are required to upload original scanned copies of the valid documents. “Upload only the valid documents to avoid update request from rejection,” the UIDAI notes.
(Submit valid documents.)
9. At the end of submission, a URN or Update Request Number is issued to track the status of application.
(A URN or Update Request Number is issued at the end.)
10. “Residents are required to upload scanned image of original Proof of Address (PoA)/self signed (self attested) copy of PoA documents for update/correction. View the valid list of documents,” the UIDAI adds. The documents required for address change include passport, bank statement/passbook, and statement of Post Office account/passbook, ration card, voter id, driving license, water bill and telephone landline bill, among others, according to the UIDAI website. The bills for water, telephone and electricity must not be older than three months, the UIDAI mentions.
Aadhaar is mandatory to be linked to mobile phone numbers (SIM), financial services like bank accounts, public provident fund, insurance policies, permanent account number (PAN), social security schemes and a host of other necessary utilities. The last date to link Aadhaar with these facilities is March 31, 2018, after the government agreed to extend it further.