Microsoft is finally bringing its Skype calling service to all Amazon Echo smart speakers. Now, you can make Skype calls on both audio-only Alexa-enabled devices like the Amazon Echo Dot, Echo and Echo Plus as well as video-enabled devices like the Amazon Echo Shot and Echo Spot. The good news is that Skype for Amazon Echo will be available in a handful of countries such as the US, India, Canada, and New Zealand, to name a few. The feature was first announced in September but is now live.
Here’s how to set up Skype on Alexa-enabled Echo smart speakers
To activate Skype, Amazon Alexa Echo smart speaker owners will need to follow the following steps:
- Open and login into the Amazon Alexa app on your Android or iOS smartphone
- Press the hamburger option on the top left corner of the app and press settings
- Then under the ‘Alexa Preferences’ heading find and press ‘communications’
- In the ‘communications’ settings panel, you will find a new Skype option, press that
- A new window will open up requiring you to enter your Microsoft account credentials
- Input the credentials and you are done.
To encourage users to link their Skype accounts with their Alexa devices, customers are being offered 100 free minutes of calls per month. This offer will be valid for two months giving customers 200 minutes worth of calling credit to make SkypeOut calls.