UAN also allows linking of EPF accounts with a single account. Once a new account is opened, money can be transferred from the previous employer’s EPF account to the new account.
If you are a job changer more than once, then this news is important for you. After leaving the job, take special care that all your old Employees Provident Fund (EPF) accounts should be merged into the new account. This has to be done because of an important rule related to tax. Experts believe that it is necessary to merge all the EPF accounts of the previous company with the existing EPF account. So that there is a record of the fact that you are working continuously. Withdrawal from EPF account is tax free after 5 years.
Five years are counted from the date of joining the EPF scheme. One can merge his various EPF accounts using Universal Account Number (UAN). UAN allows linking of all EPF accounts with a single account.
Money can be transferred
UAN helps you to keep track of multiple EPF accounts opened by different organizations, wherever you have worked. EPF members can give their UAN to the new employer for opening EPF account in the new organization. Once a new account is opened, money can be transferred from the previous employer’s EPF account to the new account.
If a new UAN is generated by the new organization, you will have to merge all your UANs into one UAN. If you want to apply online for merging two or more EPF accounts, you must be active on the UAN Member Services Portal.
This is the way to merge two or more EPF accounts
- Visit Member Services Portal https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in
- Select ‘One Member – One EPF Account (Transfer Request)’ under the ‘Online Services’ tab.
- Your personal information will appear on the screen. Here you will also get information about the EPF account maintained with your current employer.
- To transfer the old/previous account, you need to get it verified by the previous employer or the current employer.
- Enter previous PF account number or previous UAN. Click on ‘Get Details’. The screen will display the information related to your previous EPF accounts.
- Click on ‘Get OTP’. One Time (OTP) password will be sent to your registered mobile number. Enter OTP and click on submit.
Thereafter, your request for EPF account merger will be submitted successfully. Your current employer will need to accept the merge request sent. Once your employer approves it, the EPFO officials will process and merge your previous EPF accounts with the existing one. Double check on the portal to know about the status of the merge.