A new provision for booking tickets has been adopted by the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC). Some modifications were made to the guidelines to adopt the protocol regardless of the Covid-19 pandemic. The IRCTC has now agreed that 30 minutes before the scheduled departure of trains, the second reservation chart will be prepared. The second chart was scheduled two hours in advance for the last three months, owing to the coronavirus pandemic, in order to alert the passengers who had reserved a berth on a train. Before the Covid-19 epidemic, the first chart was issued by the IRCTC four hours before the train departed. Travellers could contact the passenger reservation system (PRS) counters even 30 minutes before the departure of the train to book the available seats. Prior to the preparation of the second reservation chart, they could also book the seats online. On a first-come-first-serve basis, the seats were assigned.
Decisions were taken 30 minutes before the departure of the trains to schedule the second reservation chart after the zonal railways demanded the same. For travellers’ comfort, this has been achieved. In a tweet, Indian Railways confirmed that the second booking charts were prepared 30 minutes to 5 minutes prior to the train’s departure. In compliance with the refund regulations, it was allowed during this time to cancel booked tickets. This offered the passengers travelling by trains comfort as they could cancel tickets and seek a refund even though the schedule changed at the last minute. The Centre for Railway Information System (CRIS) has been provided with the required modifications in order to restore the current requirements in the framework, effective from 10 October, the Railway Ministry announced. The guidelines for IRCTC e-booking also kept the same. Passengers are supposed to arrive at the railway station an hour or two before the train departure, according to a railway source. You need to take these steps if you would like to book an IRCTC ticket:
- Visit irctc.co.in/nget and enter your source and destination stations
- Now you need to select the journey date and class of coach
- Now click on ‘Find Trains’ option and a range of options will appear on your device screen
- Now select the train that you are willing to book according to your requirement and click on ‘Availability and Fare’
- The berth fare of the respective train will be shown along with the number of seats available on the relevant date.
- If there are seats available, click on ‘Book Now’ and then you need to log in to your IRCTC account
- Now enter the required credentials i.e. username and password in order to sign in and enter the details of the passenger
- Now pay the fair and book your seats successfully