LIC file death insurance claim: If you are the nominee of the LIC (Life Insurance Corporation) policyholder who has died, then you must know how to file a claim for death insurance. The process of filing death claim is completely offline. For this, you have to visit the home branch from where the policy was issued. You should also keep all the necessary documents ready before going there. Apart from this, you will also have to get the signature of the policyholder’s insurance agent or development officer on the death claim form before submitting it.
Complete steps to file death claim in LIC
- To start the process of filing death claim, the nominee has to visit the home branch of LIC from where the policy was issued. There they will have to give information about the death of the policyholder. The branch officer will give Form 3783, Form 3801 and NEFT to transfer funds to the nominee’s bank account.
- Documents to be submitted along with these forms include Original Death Certificate, Original Policy Bond, Nominee’s PAN Card, Nominee’s Aadhar Card, Voter ID, copy of Driving License or Passport and any ID proof of the deceased policyholder (Aadhaar Card) better if yes). All the documents will have to be self-attested by the nominee.
- Along with the completely filled form and documents, the nominee will also have to submit a declaration form. In this, the date of death, place of death and cause of death of the policyholder will have to be mentioned.
- Along with the NEFT form, the nominee will have to submit a canceled check and a copy of the bank passbook with the bank account holder’s name, account number and IFS code printed on it. If the photocopy of bank passbook is not present along with other documents, the documents will not be accepted.
- Keep in mind that while submitting the above mentioned documents, the nominee should keep the original documents of which they are submitting copies. They should also keep their PAN card, ID proof of the deceased person and original passbook for verification.
- The LIC officer will verify the original passbook from the copy before approving the documents for processing the death claim. Keep in mind that Life Insurance Corporation may ask for additional documents in addition to this list of documents before the final amount is credited to the nominee’s bank account.
- Once the documents are submitted to the LIC branch, don’t forget to take the receipt and keep it safe. If no additional documents are required, the nominee will get the settlement amount within a period of one month. However, if the amount is not credited to your bank account within a month, you should take the receipt to the LIC branch and ask for the status.