Indian Driving License Valid Countries: Many countries allow Indians to drive cars on their roads with a valid Indian driving license even without an International Driving Permit from India. Here we are telling about 10 such countries, where Indians have this facility.
Indian Driving License Valid Countries List
1. United States of America: The United States allows the use of Indian driver’s licenses on its roads. A driving license is valid for one year from the day of entry into the country. However, the driving license cannot be in any regional language of India. And if there is DL then it should be translated into English. The traveler must also carry a verified I-94 form that serves as proof of their lawful entry into the United States.
2. Australia: Australia also allows the use of an Indian driving license for one year in areas including New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory. For Northern Australia, the license is valid for three months. It is advisable to carry an International Driving Permit from India when traveling to Northern Australia. Like India, cars in Australia also drive on the left.
3. Canada: Canada allows Indian citizens to drive with their DL for a period of up to 60 days. After which, if you want to continue driving in the country, you will need to obtain a separate permit. In Canada, vehicles also drive on the right side of the road.
4. United Kingdom: An Indian driver’s license is valid for one year in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland from the day of entry into the UK. It should be noted that one can only drive a specific category of vehicles including motorcycles and cars. The license must also be in English and the vehicle must be driven on the left side of the road.
5. New Zealand: New Zealand allows the use of an Indian driving license for one year. After which one must have a New Zealand driver’s license or an international driving permit. The minimum age required to drive in New Zealand with an Indian DL is 21 years and your driving license must be in English. If it isn’t, you can get a translated copy from the New Zealand Transport Agency.
6. Switzerland: Like the countries mentioned above, Switzerland also allows Indian driving license holders to drive in the country for one year. The license must be in English, and any person may lease any vehicle permitted by the license. Here cars will have to drive on the right side of the road.
7. Germany: Germany allows the use of Indian driving licenses, but only for six months. The license must be in either English or German language. If it is not so, one will have to get it translated by police officers or rental agencies. After six months, you will need an international driving permit or a German driving license. Even in Germany you have to drive on the right side of the road.
8. France: An Indian driver’s license in France is valid for up to one year. Someone will have to translate it into French though. Also like most of Europe, cars in France have their steering wheels on the left. And cars drive on the right side of the road.
9. South Africa: Indian driving license is valid for one year in South Africa. Here also the driving license should be in English. And an international driving permit may be required to rent a car or motorcycle in the country. To be safe, it would be advisable to carry other travel documents with you.
10. Sweden: With an Indian driver’s license, one can enjoy driving on the beautiful roads of Sweden for a year. The driving license must be in English or another language approved by Sweden, including Swedish, German, French, Danish and Norwegian. Other documents like ID proof and photo should also be kept with you.
Whereas Indian driving license is accepted in the countries mentioned above. But obtaining an International Driving License or Permit (IDP) will allow you to drive in other countries as well. IDP can be obtained from your local Regional Transport Office (RTO).