If you want to open Jan Dhan account, then you do not need to open a new account. You can convert your old account to Jan Dhan account only.
New Delhi: If you have not opened Jan Dhan account yet, then now you can convert your old savings account into Jan Dhan account only. For this you have to go to the branch of the bank. Here you have to fill a form and apply for RuPay card. After doing this you will have to submit the form to the bank. Through this form your bank account will be converted into Jan Dhan account.
You get interest on deposits in this account. Apart from this, free mobile banking facility is also provided with the account. If you have a Jan Dhan account, you can withdraw an additional Rs 10,000 from your account through overdraft. But this facility is available only after proper maintenance of Jan Dhan account for few months.
To convert any old savings bank account into Jan Dhan account, follow these steps-
Step 1: First of all go to the bank branch.
Step 2: Fill a form there and apply for RuPay card against your account.
Step 3: After filling the form submit it to the bank.
Step 4: After this your account will be converted into Jan Dhan account.
There is no tension
to maintain minimum balance, there is no need to maintain minimum balance in the accounts opened under PMJDY. However, if you want the facility of checkbook, then you will have to maintain a minimum balance.
Get many special benefits
- Accidental insurance cover up to Rs 2 lakh is available.
- Life cover up to Rs.30,000, which is available on the death of the beneficiary subject to fulfillment of eligibility conditions.
- RuPay Debit Card is given to the Jan Dhan account opener, from which he can withdraw money from the account or make purchases.
- It is easy to buy insurance, pension products through Jan Dhan account.
- Earns interest on deposits. Apart from this, free mobile banking facility is also provided with the account.
- The direct money of the benefits of government schemes comes into the account.
- There is facility of transfer of money across the country.
These necessary documents will be needed
According to the PMJDY website, you can get Jan Dhan account opened through documents like passport, driving license, PAN card number, voter ID card issued by the Election Commission, MGNREGA job card signed by a state government official.