The date for filing Income Tax Return (ITR) is slowly approaching. Most of the people do not fill ITR out of fear because they feel that if any mistake is made then it will be very difficult.
New Delhi: The date for filing Income Tax Return (ITR) is slowly approaching. Most of the people do not fill ITR out of fear because they feel that if any mistake is made then it will be very difficult. So do not panic, if you make a mistake in filling the ITR, then the Income Tax Department also gives you a chance to rectify that mistake. The Income Tax Department gives you the opportunity to fill the revised return, it is exactly the same as the original ITR.
How to file revised returns
1. First of all log on to the Income Tax Department’s e-filing portal https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home
2. Log in to the e-filing portal with your PAN number, password and captcha code.
3. Click on the ‘E-File’ menu and then click on the link of ‘Income Tax Return’.
4. On the Income Tax Return page, your PAN number will come up automatically.
5. Now select the assessment year and ITR form number
6. Now select the option of ‘Original / Revised Return’ in ‘Filing Type’.
7. After this, click on ‘Prepare and Submit Online’ in ‘Submission Mode’
8. Under ‘General Information’ tab, select ‘Revised Return Under Section 139 (5)’ in ‘Return Filing Section’ and ‘Revised’ in ‘Return Filing Type’ in the online ITR form.
9. Now select the ‘enrollment number’ entered in the original ITR and the date of filing the ITR.
10. Now fill in the relevant information and after that make corrections and submit it to ITR
When you fill the revised return, then definitely verify it, the easiest way is through Aadhaar. You have to click on ‘Generate Aadhaar OTP’. OTP will come on your registered mobile, fill this OTP, as soon as it is filled, an acknowledgment will come on your e-mail ID.
How many times can the revised return be filled
You should know that the revised return assessment can be filed before the end of the year. Suppose you filled the returns for the financial year 2019-20, then you will have a chance to rectify your mistake by 31 March 2021. Meanwhile, you can fill the revised returns as many times as you want.
What kind of mistakes can be improved
Under section 154 (1) of income tax, if there is a mistake in your ITR that is clearly visible, then you can get it corrected. What could be these mistakes,
1. something wrong
2. Any data is incorrectly entered, there is a disturbance in the count
3. There has been a mistake in writing
4. Mismatch in tax credit
5. Mismatch in advance tax
6. There has been a mistake in filling the penis
7. Additional information on capital gains not filled