Passport Renewal: A passport serves as an official document confirming a person’s identity and nationality. Only through passport can you go abroad for holiday, business or education. Overall, passport is an important document for traveling abroad.
Indian passport remains valid for ten years from the date of issue. Renewal of passport is required after completion of 10 years. Renewal can be initiated up to three years after the expiry of the passport or up to one year before the expiry. To avoid any hassles, you should start the process of renewing your passport at least nine months before it expires, although it is possible to renew within six months but there may be some possible delays, which may affect your Planning for foreign travel may be affected.
The rules for renewing a passport are slightly different. In case of minors, the passport is valid for five years or till they turn 18, whichever is earlier. After this you can choose the option of online passport renewal. In this, minors between the age of 15 to 18 years have the option of getting a passport with validity of up to 10 years. You can renew your passport by going to the passport office or sitting at home with the help of some easy steps. Here we are telling some easy tips for renewing your passport, based on which you can renew your passport without any hassle.
Follow these tips to renew your passport-
- First of all go to the official website of Passport India https://passportindia.gov.in/.
- If you are already registered then login.
- If you are a new user then you will have to register.
- Click on the ‘New User Registration’ option on the Passport Seva website.
- Select the passport office and click on the passport office according to your address.
- To create password and login ID, fill the necessary information like name and email ID.
- Fill the captcha code and click on ‘Register’.
After registration, you will receive a link for account activation on e-mail. Click on the link to activate your account. After registration, you can apply for a new passport or apply for renewal of the old passport. In this way you find yourself ready to renew your passport. To renew your passport, follow the instructions given here:
- Then go to the official website of passport service and login.
- Click on ‘Apply for New Passport/Apply for Re-Issue of Passport’.
- Select the option ‘Click here to fill the application form’.
- Fill the required details including applicant, family and address information.
- Enter emergency contact details and previous passport details.
- Agree with the self-declaration and submit the form.
- After submitting the form, proceed to pay the passport renewal fee and schedule an appointment.
To schedule an appointment:
- Log in to the Passport Seva website.
- Select ‘View saved and submitted applications’.
- Click on ‘Make Payment and Schedule Appointment’ option.
- Select payment method and select Passport Seva Kendra (PSK).
- Confirm your PSK by entering the captcha code.
- Choose a convenient slot from the available dates and select ‘Make Payment and Book Appointment’.
- Passport renewal fee varies depending on age, booklet page and whether normal or urgent.
- There is an additional fee of Rs 2000 in the Tatkal scheme.